Friday, July 20, 2012

Bonjour, from Nice!  After a long day of travel that I do not wish to discuss, relive, or ever experience again, we have arrived!  Our apartment here is, to use an overused word, A-mazing.  Here are some photos:








The view is so perfect and I am sitting on that white lounge chair on the balcony as I write.  Temperature is in the low seventies and the sun is setting.  Ahh...I can almost forget about the six hour train ride from hell.  Oh, that's right, I'm not talking about that.

Onto brighter things...

Our trip to Lake Como.  Alas, no George sightings, but not to worry...I received a marriage proposal from an elevator operator in Rome.  I'm hoping it was my less than stellar grasp of the language, but I'm pretty sure he said that American women are cheaper than Italian women so would I marry him?  Those Italians really know how to turn on the charm. But I digress...In Como, we took the funicular train up the mountain which was fun, but not much to see from the train.  We did have a delicious meal at the top, sitting outside looking over the lake.  A very proud Italian man (is there any other type?) was working his grill and served us "all things from my land.  My wine, my beer, my vegetables, my fish."  So we ate trout and polenta, potatoes and homemade bread.  Of course we tasted his wine and beer, and finished off with his wife's homemade lemon cake.  We needed Grappa after that.

Then we took a ferry to Bellagio where we shopped and put our toes in the water, and enjoyed just walking around.  No words to describe the beauty.  I'll let the photos tell the story. 

Funicular train



The girls

 

In our last week in Milan, Matt travelled to Germany and Monaco for work, and the girls and I took day trips to Rome and Verona.  Pictures on that to follow--haven't downloaded them yet.  We had fun in both but not in either place long enough to do more than cruise the main sights ("Look kids, Big Ben, Parliment!").  Made a wish in Trevi Fountain, wrote letters to Giulietta at Casa Di Giulietta (Juliet's house), all the girly fun things Daddy wouldn't be too sad about missing.  We loved Verona and hope to have a chance to return for a longer stay some day.

So we left Milan today and it was bitter sweet.  Milan won me over in the end.  It was new and old, reverent and whimsical, fashion and food.  There is a sense of resilience there, a quality I can't quite put my finger on, and yet I feel it just the same.  We will miss Navigli and the cool art scene (I am kicking myself for not buying this painting I fell in love with by a local artist...wonder if he has a website???), the guys in the street playing "Hotel California" on their guitars, the pizza, the pasta, the caffe, the gelato, our oasis in the desert, the Indiana Post, where we could eat a cheeseburger and have eggs and bacon for breakfast on the weekends.  But we are thrilled to be at the beach, out of the sweltering heat, and reunited with Matt.  The Mediterranean is crystal blue and inviting, even to this aquaphobe (my word, thank you).  Rocks and no sand...I am down with that.

Our prayers are in Colorado today.  Horrible news to wake up to.  It's all anyone can talk about here.  They cancelled the Batman premiere in Paris.

Love to all.
Leah



3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a pad! It screams Nice. How long will you be there? Love the photos from the lakes - so beautiful. Congrats on the marriage proposal, what is his name? Thank you for keeping us up to date. Hope you find your phone. What's happening here, hmmmm. Watching a lot of Tour de France and British Open, kids like to switch to Leggo Nijago in between commercials...Looking forward to watching Olympics OPening Ceremonies next week. It's hot and humid and rainy here in ATL. Kids are doing tennis camp - Luke's instructor calls him DJOKOVIC...Alex has made lots of friends (surprise) and has become particularly fond of a very sweet boy named William. They go back for a second week of camp next week then only one week until school starts - so that means we need to squeeze in shopping for binders, pencils, folders, lunch boxes, etc.... Allora.....Au revoir pour le moment. kiss kiss

    ReplyDelete
  2. We road the same train in lake como. It was kind of a let down at the top. More for local transport I guess. I love the lake region in Italy though one of the prettiest areas I have ever been to. You have to put more than a toe in the water though it is how do you say bracing at best. Makes the springs in FL seem like bath water. The coast in france is amazing I don't think you need to leave that balcony, I could do a few months no problem. Hope you all enjoy and hope work is going well for Matt, must be so different than what he is used to. All is well here! We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, I went ahead and booked a spa treatment for you in Napa for Thursday morning. Right now the plan is to leave fairly early (they open at 8) and have treatments at 9. I scheduled a Lavendar butter body polish for you (just guessing). It's about 80 minutes. If you want to check out other options here's the website for Spa Solage: http://www.solagecalistoga.com/spa_brochure/. Hope you are all well and enjoying France still!!! hugs and kisses from the Atlanta Wallaces

    ReplyDelete