Thursday, July 12, 2012

Buongiorno!  We are well into week three (sniff--it's flying by too quickly!)  and settling into a routine here in Milano.  It pretty much goes like this:  Girls sleep until noonish, and I use that time to have a coffee, and go for a run/walk to explore the city.  I come back, they shower, get ready, and we head back out for shopping or an activity.  Then by about 4:00 (that would be 16:00 here!) they are ready for nap time.   During nap/rest time, I sit in a cafe and read while having my afternoon espresso.  I collect them again and we all get ready for dinner and night time fun.  Night time brings out all of the young, fun, and ready-to-party crowd in Navigli--it's crazy how quickly the streets go from vacant to Mardi Gras (minus the beads and nudity).  There are swarms of mosquitoes that rival any I have ever experienced (that is saying a lot since I hail from the Sunshine State--winter home to retirees and summer home to mosquitoes), and almost every bar/restaurant keeps repellent on hand for patrons to use.  Pretty clever.  Most nights we are finishing our gelato just as the party is getting started, but that is okay with us!

Yesterday the girls and I were such touristas!  We took a tour of the city on a double-decker bus.  In all honesty, the girls indulged me this very hot, long, but sooo interesting history lesson of Milan.  I was so sad to see all the buildings that were destroyed during WWII, but I'm proud of the way Milan has rebuilt and become a thriving metropolis...and also the mecca for fashionistas everywhere.  I feel like I am on a pilgrimage.  It is my duty to contribute.  It's my DUTY!!  So I contributed to several stores and might have found a vintage Gucci bag that was orphaned and needed a home (it's my duty).  The girls also soldiered up and have landed some pretty great shoes and clothing items.  I know, we are such givers.

Thanks, Lane and Mads.  You were troopers.


Today, Matt is back from Prague (I'm sure he will fill you in on that later--looks beautiful, and he had his first work experience abroad) and we are headed to the Duomo (cathedral) and taking the stairs to the top.  No, we are not wearing appropriate shoes.  It's Milan.  We will suffer.  Tomorrow taking the train to George's house, I mean Lake Como, and spending the day there.  Will post photos of all.

Finally, I will close with some complaints, epiphanies, and general observations from our trip thus far:

1.  It really sucks sharing a bathroom--one tiny bathroom--for the four of us.
2.  It is ridiculous that we have five bathrooms at home.
3.  I really miss chips and queso.
4.  Train travel, bike travel, and walking are fun, and a great way to see the city.
5.  I miss my car.
6.  Tight living quarters leads to bickering.
7.  Tight living quarters leads to quick make-ups.
8.  My girls are hilarious.  
9.  My girls drive me crazy.
10.  We miss Matt the same way in Europe as we do in the US when he travels for work.
11.  Eating dinner at 10:00 is weird.
12.  Italians think our eating habits are weird.
13.  Cappuccino in the morning is to die for.
14.  Gelato before bed is a necessity.
15.  I am horribly homesick.  
16.  I don't want this trip to end.

Ciao, hugs and kisses.
Leah


4 comments:

  1. Perfect time for a post...I was just about to complain that it had been too long! Milan sounds great and so does your routine. Did you see the picture of Zoe's first day of school? Adorable! What happened to the girls blogging? Not much new here...just getting ready for Andy's HUGE event. We have two refrigerators filled to the brink with food. My major contribution is cleaning 16 lbs of beans, which is enough for me. Oh and I make awesome coffee runs :)

    Love you all xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear from you-- Milan sounds fabulous and sespit the one any tiny bathroom, glad you chose the place right in the heart of everything you want to to do. I agree with Sarah, the routine of your day sounds great. Interesting about Milan's history and how ii is such a modern city.

    Be sure and tell George how much we enjoy his work and that he can do better than S

    Xoxoxoxo and miss you ALL so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are enjoying your posts. We did share the first few with Bea before we left for the beach. She loved seeing the pictures so be sure to keep them coming! In case you missed the Facebook post, Emily has her license so the younger generation of Wallaces can tool around town next time you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't believe Em is driving. I'm sure the next time we are in town, Delaney and Maddie won't hesitate to hop in. Does she have a car? I thought I remembered Bea telling me she got one for her birthday. Miss you guys. xox

    ReplyDelete